Glaucoma Eye Surgery
Glaucoma is a serious condition of the eye. Without treatment, glaucoma can cause permanent loss of peripheral vision. Over time, it can cause tunnel vision and permanent blindness. Unfortunately, there is no cure for glaucoma. There are treatment methods available at Eye Care Specialists of Florida in Kissimmee to help slow the progression of the disease.
Two Types of Glaucoma
There are two types of glaucoma and the treatment method that our eye doctor chooses would depend on the type of glaucoma that you have.
- Open-angle glaucoma: Open-angle glaucoma occurs when the drainage canal becomes clogged. This can cause the pressure in your eyes to increase, resulting in damage to the optic nerve.
- Angle-closure glaucoma: This type of glaucoma occurs when the drainage canal in your eye becomes completely blocked. This can cause the pressure in your eye to increase rapidly.
Glaucoma Eye Surgery
The first treatment method that our ophthalmologist will try is eye drops. The eye drops are used for relieving the pressure in your eyes. If the eye drops are not effective, eye surgery will be necessary. There are several surgical procedures available and the one that our eye doctor chooses would depend on your condition. If you are suffering from the more common, open-angle glaucoma, our eye surgeon will choose one of the following procedures:
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT): During the procedure, our eye doctor would use a low-level laser in the areas of your eye where there's pressure. This is often done a little at a time.
The most common treatment for angle-closure glaucoma include:
- Laser Peripheral Iridotomy (LPI): During this procedure, a small hole would be made in the iris. This would cause it to fall away from the fluid channel, which would help the fluid to drain.
- Laser Cyclophotocoagulation: Our eye surgeon would beam a laser into the structure of your eye to release the pressure. To keep your glaucoma under control, this procedure would need to be repeated over time.
If laser surgery has not worked for you, there are a few types of traditional eye surgeries that can be effective.
- Trabeculectomy: During this procedure, our eye surgeon would cut a small hole in the white of your eye to remove a bit of the mesh-tissue. This will help the fluid to drain.
- Drainage Implant Surgery: This surgical procedure involves the surgeon placing a tiny tube in the eye to allow the fluid to drain freely.
If eye drops are not keeping your eye pressure down, our ophthalmologist at Eye Care Specialists of Florida in Kissimmee can recommend glaucoma surgery to reduce the pressure, preserving the health of your optic nerve and your vision. Call our Kissimmee office at (407) 483-0328.